ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND: Peabody School was founded in 1994 to “serve the needs of academically advanced children of all backgrounds by promoting cognitive, social, and emotional development for each child at a rate commensurate with his or her ability, while providing a foundation for students to become lifelong learners.” This mission is best embodied in our motto: Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
Peabody enrolls 220 students in grades PreK - 8th grade, and embraces the whole child using a rigorous academics program, including extensive instruction in fine and performing arts, world languages, technology, and physical education. The School celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2019 by completing the new North Wing, which includes early childhood classrooms (PreK and K), a new engineering classroom, and new music room.
In 2020-2021, Peabody employs 49 full-time and full-time equivalent staff members, with an annual budget of approximately $3.2 million. The School is located just minutes from downtown Charlottesville, off Avon St. Extended, near the Mill Creek and Foxcroft neighborhoods.
● Attends a substitute orientation to learn about the basic job requirements
● Responds to subbing requests in a timely manner
● Reviews lesson plan in advance of arriving at school if it is available, and presents subject matter as requested by the teacher
● Upon arriving, signs in on the “Peabody Substitute Coverage” form in the office, documenting date and times subbing
● Arrives on time and follows student sign in procedures
● Comes to school in school-appropriate attire
● Reviews lesson plan and prepares materials as specified in the lesson plan supplied by the lead teacher
● Collects completed work and organizes it for quick interpretation by lead teacher as to what was completed, partially completed, and/or not completed
● If applicable, puts notes on lesson plan explaining warranted changes made to lesson plan, how students behaved and what intervention occurred, etc.
● Follows school policies regarding discipline and maintaining a safe, positive learning environment
● Informs lead teacher and/or Head of School in writing of any issues, concerns, or potential issues
● Presents subject matter to students under the direction and guidance of lead teacher
● Maintains a clean and organized learning environment
● Supports students with behaviors that interfere with learning and/or relationships
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS:
● High school degree
● Good written and oral communication skills
● Experience working with children
● Associate’s Degree or higher
● Experience working with children in a school setting
Peabody School is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Your application was submitted successfully.